Mo'rrockin Eggs Shakshuka with Smoked Salmon
w Cheats Man Grind & Garlic Bread
This is a favourite in our house and it is so versatile! Have it for a weekend brunch, or leave out the salmon for a vegetaraian crowd pleaser!
Check out the optional extras below and find your favourite combo.
Jana (Guest Blogger for Pepper & Me) The MacPherson Dairies
1/2 onion diced
oil for frying
100 grams Pepper & Me Mo'Rocckin Paste
2 cans of diced tomato's
1/2 can of cannellini beans drained (optional, or can sub in chickpeas)
Man Grind Salt
1 teaspoon honey (optional, or your choice of sweetener)
100grams Smoked Salmon (or more if you like)
handful of coriander for garnish
Preheat your oven to Grill on 200
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan (that can go in the oven later) and sauté the onion
- add Pepper & Me Mo'Rocckin Paste and fry off for a minute
- Add tomato's and bring to a low simmer
- add beans
- Add honey and man grind
- taste and adjust seasoning. Once you are happy with the flavour turn down the temperature in the pan and get your eggs ready.
- using a wooden spoon make a 5 holes in the tomato mixture to put your eggs in. It is easy to dot 4 around the outside and one in the middle if doing 5. Break your eggs into the holes and sprinkle some man rub on the top of each egg.
- Cook for a few minutes on the stove top before topping with dots of smoked salmon and transferring to the grill.
- the amount of time you leave it under the grill determines how you want your eggs cooked. My children don’t like them runny so I like this method however you can skip the grilling altogether and just place a lid on your tomato and egg mixture to continue cooking the eggs.
- sprinkle with coriander and serve with bread for dipping and something green for health.
avocado - add when you are just about to serve and squeeze on a little lemon
feta - sprinkle generously before putting under the grill
bacon - cook separately and add to the eggs before serving
mushrooms - cook separately and add to the eggs before serving
capsicums - add these when you add the onions
Silverbeet pod* - add when you add the tomato's
*When our greenery is going gangbusters in the garden I pick a whole massive pot and blanch it and whizz it in the blender and freeze in large ice cube trays for future use. these merge into the sauce and my children are none the wiser!
Cheats Man Grind & Garlic Bread
- Use your favourite bread recipe for your bread maker and set to dough function.
- take the dough out and turn onto a floured surface, punch the dough down and cut in half.
- shape each half into a round, cover and put in a warm place to prove for 40 mins.
- get a sharp knife and cut 1cm slices in the top.
- mix 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brush over the bread.
- sprinkle with a generous grind of man grind.
- bake at 180 until done, timing will depend on your bread recipe but around 25-35 mins.